Monday, October 20, 2008

Maldini: I Will Retire This Season

Milan legend Paolo Maldini reveals he is 100 percent sure of finally hanging up his boots at the end of the season...

The former Italian international has been playing at Milan all of his career and he has made over 600 appearances for the club in Serie A, winning an unrivaled number of honours in the process.

However, at 40 his legs are starting to feel the heavy demands of Calcio and he has decided to call it a day.

Il Capitano will put his boots away for good and the famous number three jersey will be retired unless, of course, his son follows in his footsteps.

"I am 100 percent sure. I will quit the game for good," Maldini told Il Corriere Dello Sport.

"I will not have any re-think over my decision. I want to stay in the game but not with a role on the pitch, you will not see me wearing slippers.

"I want to leave the captain's armband to Massimo Ambrosini as he was the player who began his career at Milan first after I did."

The legendary stopper then spoke of not winning the Ballon d'Or and he also has one other regret.

"It would have been nice to have won the award but that's not the trophy that made me fight for all my career," added the defender.

"I would never have swapped it for a Scudetto or Champions League. My idea of football is to win with the team.

"My only regret in football? Never having played alongside Diego Maradona."

Maldini has been a loyal servant to Milan in a career which stretches over 24 years. He will be hoping he bows out from the game with honours as the Rossoneri challenge for Il Tricolore this season.

Goal.com

0 comments:

Search