Thursday, May 7, 2009

Paolo Maldini: Carlo Ancelotti Will Stay At Milan

The veteran defender is confident that ‘Carletto’ will remain at the helm of the Rossoneri...



Milan legend Paolo Maldini will retire at the end of the season and he has admitted he will relish the three remaining games of his outstanding career, including next Sunday’s clash with Juventus.

“Juve, along with Inter and Napoli, plus Sampdoria for a few years, were one of my biggest rivals,” the 40-year-old said to La Gazzetta dello Sport.

“After they went down to Serie B, I did not think they would return to the top so quickly. Of course, the fans want to win but you need important investments for that.”

Maldini could have joined the Old Lady at the start of his career, before Silvio Berlusconi became president of the Rossoneri.

“My father knew everything, there was some contact, but nothing happened in the end,” he revealed.

Despite their recent upturn in fortunes, Milan will likely finish another season empty-handed and could part with Carlo Ancelotti.

“Our season was not a failure,” stressed Paolo. "We have 15 more points than last season, we have the best attack and the second best defence. With just two or three high-profile signings, Milan can compete with everyone in Italy and in Europe.

“As for Ancelotti, the club is happy with him, he has a contract and his rapport with the directors is excellent. I’m sure ‘Carletto’ will still manage Milan.

“I still feel good and could have played on, but I’m living this final stage of my career in a relaxed way. I’m ready to say my goodbyes without regrets after 25 years in football.


"My heir? Thiago Silva can do great things, but will need some experienced men next to him, such as [Giuseppe] Favalli.”strong>

Vince Masiello, Goal.com

0 comments:

Search