Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Paolo Maldini's Farewell Press Conference: Milan Forever!

The Milan legend has given his farewell press conference and he has given his views on the past, present and future...



Paolo Maldini has finally waved goodbye to Milan during his farewell press conference following an epic career at the San Siro.

The legendary defender played a total of 901 games for the club during a 24-year-stint there. He won, among many honours, five European Cups and seven Scudetti. During that time he became known as the greatest left-back in the history of the game. Maldini hung up his boots on the final day of the season and he was clearly emotional during today's press conference where he thanked everyone involved during his career.

"I am and I will always be a Milan fan, I have always given my best, and I feel I have deserved what I have achieved at this club," Maldini told Sky Sport Italia.

Reports suggested Maldini could have a future in Spain after Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola invited him to join the club following their Champions League win, but the Italian has declined. Kaka's Real Madrid move has also been the hot topic of discussion at Milan.

"I am honoured regarding what Guardiola said, but I don't think my future will be in Barcelona," added the captain.

"Kaka? His transfer signals a massive change here at Milan. He is the first player of a great level that Milan have sold, they would never have done this in the past and I think it is a major blow on the club and on the fans.

"He is one of the best players in the world. Milan in decline? I don't think so. I think it was a logical decision and now it will be a challenge to win the Champions League without players like Kaka."


Maldini will leave behind the captaincy at Milanello, and he believes Massimo Ambrosini has the qualities to take the armband. Andrea Pirlo has also been linked to Chelsea, but the defender feels the Italian will remain in Italy.

"I believe Massimo could be the new Milan captain, but it will be down to Leonardo," added the captain.

"As for Pirlo, I think he will remain in Italy. I believe his will is to remain in Milan."

Salvatore Landolina, Goal.com

0 comments:

Search