Thursday, January 7, 2010

Manchester United Boss Alex Ferguson: I Once Tried To Sign Paolo Maldini

Red Devils gaffer admits he chased Rossoneri idol...

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed that he once tried to sign Milan legend Paolo Maldini, only to face an outright denial from the player's father.

The Scot explained that signing arguably the greatest defender of our time remained one of his unfulfilled dreams as a manager.

"I always wanted to get Paolo here but it was impossible," Ferguson said, according to The Sun.

"I met his father at a game and told him how much I'd love to have his son at United.

"Cesare smiled at me and said 'My grandfather was Milan, my father was Milan, I played for Milan and now my son is Milan'.

"And that was it - story over!"


Maldini went on to be a one-club man and retired in 2009, at the age of 40, after spending well over two decades with the Rossoneri.

Adithya Ananth, Goal.com UK

0 comments:

Search