Friday, April 11, 2008

Maldini, Del Piero Are Inspirational - Davids

Former Juventus midfielder Edgar Davids talked about the match between Juventus and Milan, heaping praise on Alessandro Del Piero and Paolo Maldini, who were both once his team mates.

This weekend it's time for a Serie A classic again, as Juventus host Milan on Saturday night. This was often a decisive match in the race for the Scudetto, but this time the prize at stake is merely qualification to next season's Champions League.

One of the players who knows a lot about this match is midfielder Edgar Davids, who has played for both teams, but for much longer and with much greater success at Juventus. Currently the 'Pitbull' is playing for Ajax.

"My period at Juventus was very special," he said in an interview today, "it was great because when we came on the pitch we felt like we couldn't lose."

On captain Alessandro Del Piero, he said: "Everyone knows what he can do, and you can see he can still give a lot to the team. There's also [Mauro] Camoranesi and [Gigi] Buffon, but Alex is truly a symbol and he does a lot for the team."

On Paolo Maldini: "I'm not surprised he will probably continue playing. It also gives me confidence that I can continue playing for a long time too. When he renewed his contract I felt it was also a sign for me, that I could continue playing even though I'm well in my thirties."

Goal.com

0 comments:

Search