Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Reality Better Than Words

'After the number six shirt, we will retire the number three. Paolo represents the last of the standard-bearers for a long time, so no one will wear Paolo's shirt again. Hopefully, we will be able to do the same for Billy Costacurta.'


This was the important announcement Rossoneri chief executive Adriano Galliani had to make at the premier of 'Paolo Maldini-The Film', a DVD directed by Paolo Ameli and produced by FilmMaster Television, which looks back over the defender's career, with interviews from sixty of those who have played a role in Paolo's footballing life. They include the likes of Galliani, Fabio Capello and Arrigo Sacchi. All profits will go to the Milan Foundation to help the Marchi clinic.


During a press conference at the launch, Galliani summed up what Maldini meant to the Rossoneri:'Maldini is Milan. It's an extraordinary story, a lad born in Milan, the son of the captain who lifted the Champions Cup, twenty years at Milan, captain of the side that won the cup forty years after the same thing happened at Wembley, it's extraordinary, magical. It's never happened in any other team in the world. I wish that Maldini can play on until his son Christian can come in and substitute him. Paolo's biological age is a lot lower than is actual age, the tests we have done now are better than three or four years ago. We are waiting on his son (present at the launch), at Milan nothing is impossible. Words are not enough to describe everything, the reality is much more beautifull.'


Maldini then spoke to the Milan Channel about the DVD: 'I have looked to recount my story in the most natural way possible, inserting the highlights that back everything. What are the most beautiful images? Playing with my elementary school side when we were champions of Milan. It was a pleasure to relive certain moments, right from the start of playing. I would like to thank everyone who spoke about me, friends, opponents. It was really nice of them I can't believe everything that was said about me.'


Then a look back before focusing on the future: 'What do I remember about the week of the Champions League derby? It was the hardest week in which to play football even more so that the final. The emotions were at their highest. As for the future, I have never imagined what I will do after I retire. Let's see.'


Cesare Maldini then commented on what Galliani had to say about his son: 'It was wonderful testimony. What is Paolo's secret? He loves this sport, he always looks to give his best, he loves the shirt he wears. I think what my son has done and will do for Milan, is extraordinary.'


From AcMilan.com 2005.01.30

0 comments:

Search